Sounds a lot like a plugged tank screen --as the fuel level gets low, all the slop collects in the bottom of the tank. Driving on the highway pulls huge amounts of fuel through the filters, even though you aren't using much, so the screen plugs and fuel delivery drops way down. As the lift pump slows, fuel collect in the filters and you have normal power.

Time to remove and clean the tank, and replace the screen.

Peter