Craig McCluskey wrote:
I got a Honeywell at Home Depot. It wants to stop running the forced-air,
gas furnace in the morning about 3 degrees below the set point. It also
has a very narrow hysteresis band and wants to run the furnace frequently
for only a short time.

Where does one get a good thermostat?

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453055819
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Honeywel%20VisionPro%208000%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

Check out the install instructions. You can tell the PID controller how aggressive its gains need to be, you can set the cycles per hour (not perfectly enforce I'm sure, but will give you better control of how short the run-time is), and it has the "adaptive intelligent recovery" which learns your house's heat/cool times. It also has seven day programs... you can have unique "sleep,wake,away,return" temperatures/times for every day. The thermostat is removable so you can program it in your lap, and then stick it back on the wall. The thermostat will also run off the furnace's 24VAC (batteries as well). Also, the thermostat will guarantee that the compressor has five minutes of off time between cycles to prevent damage to the compressor (say there is a power outage or something).

Total overkill, but I'm a gadget freak...

I have a dual fuel setup... heat pump and 93% gas furnace. Totally overkill for my mild climate, but there is a long and complicated story behind it. Would just do a heat pump next time around. Anyway, I installed the outdoor temp sensor for the thermostat, and it uses the heat pump down to 40F, and the gas furnace after that. I can change that temperature to whatever I want (could do it based on gas vs. electric costs)....

The thermostat may not be worth the $200 price tag in my area, but as cold as it gets up there you might recover it in fairly short order. Maybe there are some of these hidden settings in your thermostat? All of those settings I talked about are in the hidden "install menu".

HTH
John the blabbering gadget freak

John