I would relly like to find a thermostat that I could program on the
P.C., upload with a USP cable.  I find the programing on mine to be
cumbersome.

BTW:  I have a heat pump.  Given the price of oil NOW, I've been told
that the "Pivot Point" is 35 degrees.

Pete

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:20:16 -0600, you wrote:

>Craig McCluskey wrote:
>> I got a Honeywell at Home Depot. It wants to stop running the forced-air,
>> gas furnace in the morning about 3 degrees below the set point. It also
>> has a very narrow hysteresis band and wants to run the furnace frequently
>> for only a short time.
>>
>> Where does one get a good thermostat?
>
>http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453055819
>http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Honeywel%20VisionPro%208000%20Install%20Instructions.pdf
>
>Check out the install instructions.  You can tell the PID controller how
>aggressive its gains need to be, you can set the cycles per hour (not
>perfectly enforce I'm sure, but will give you better control of how
>short the run-time is), and it has the "adaptive intelligent recovery"
>which learns your house's heat/cool times.  It also has seven day
>programs... you can have unique "sleep,wake,away,return"
>temperatures/times for every day.  The thermostat is removable so you
>can program it in your lap, and then stick it back on the wall. The
>thermostat will also run off the furnace's 24VAC (batteries as well).
>Also, the thermostat will guarantee that the compressor has five minutes
>of off time between cycles to prevent damage to the compressor (say
>there is a power outage or something).
>
>Total overkill, but I'm a gadget freak...
>
>I have a dual fuel setup... heat pump and 93% gas furnace.  Totally
>overkill for my mild climate, but there is a long and complicated story
>behind it.  Would just do a heat pump next time around.  Anyway, I
>installed the outdoor temp sensor for the thermostat, and it uses the
>heat pump down to 40F, and the gas furnace after that.  I can change
>that temperature to whatever I want (could do it based on gas vs.
>electric costs)....
>
>The thermostat may not be worth the $200 price tag in my area, but as
>cold as it gets up there you might recover it in fairly short order.
>Maybe there are some of these hidden settings in your thermostat?  All
>of those settings I talked about are in the hidden "install menu".
>
>HTH
>John the blabbering gadget freak
>
>John

Fraternal Regards

Pete Arnold

Washington Lodge #70, P.M.
S.W., Hartford Evergreen Lodge #88 P.M. x2
Past Associated Grand Marshal District 6B
Grand Lodge of Connecticut A.F. & A.M.
Temple Chapter O.E.S. P.P. x3