On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:19:50 -0500 "Wilton Strickland" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>
wrote:
BTW, speaking of more guts than brain, remind me to tell you sometime
about my Cessna 182 flight all the way across MI (south to north) in a
blizzard on Christmas Eve literally at tree-top level - I mean up and
down some of the hills, too.

Do tell. There are those of us who flunked the USAF pilots physical
because of 20/25 in the left eye (and everything else perfect). During the
fall of 1971, the standards were pretty high; they lowered them a few
years later.
Craig
Here's a  brief flying story that pre-dates most of us:
About 1940 my cousin was in his third year of engineering school at Purdue. He found out that he would probably be accepted for pilot training so he applied and joined. He passed primary flight training and was placed in a training unit equipped with retractable gear biplanes. I think they were Grumman F3F-2s. I have a picture of him standing beside one someplace.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F3F#Operational_history
He washed out and spent the rest of the war as an officer on a destroyer escort.
If I find the picture I can post it if anyone is interested.