My experience (12 years) is that neither the local building inspector (part
time) or the gas company checks out what you have in your kitchen -- where I
live. I am sure this is different in more metropolitan areas. But in rural
Iowa, it is not the case. If you're not going to blow up your house (the gas
company's area of inspection) then you are good to go.

I did bring the building inspector in when I built my deck, but that was
more a resident courtesy ($5 fee).

God save me from ever again living where someone can tell me how high my
privacy fence can be (eight feet) or what color my house can be (tan, with
green shutters).