From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Wonko the Sane
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:38 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] an idea -- and perhaps a stupid one (me being me)

We have two body shops in Jefferson who specialize in collision
repairs.Always very busy. And another one, out in the country (if you can be
more "country" than Jefferson) owned by an older guy (in his late 60s) who
makes his living fixing up vintage cars for collectors. He works sort of
slow but is rumored to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Now, I have 120 hours of vacation available. I have had 120 hours of
vacation available for at least the last five years, since 120 hours is the
max we can carry and we get vacation time added on every paycheck. In other
words, I rarely take any vacation and just lose whatever is added on every
two weeks.

Here's what popped into my head while watching some basketball in the
kitchen.

I am a fairly intelligent individual, spent eight years in universities,
spent six years in the Coast Guard as a skilled technician (both avionics
and mechanics). I am good with my hands and know my way around tools. And I
am a bit anal when it comes to doing a task.

What if I presented myself to the old guy who fixes up vintage cars (I've
seen his work -- he is damn'd good -- worked on my brother-in-law's Edsel)
and offered him a deal: I work free for him for two weeks, doing whatever he
wants me to do to help him out (such as wet sanding primer or sweeping) IF
he will teach me a few tricks: (1) basic welding, (2) basic body filler &
sanding, and (3) how to mix paint to match faded Benz colors, and then spray
it correctly.

I will lose no income, since I have the vacation time available. He will get
someone to do the dirty work for two weeks, and, if he is the craftsman that
I think him to be, he will be happy to pass on a few secrets of the trade to
someone younger (by maybe a decade) who will carry on the tradition of
keeping old cars looking good. It isn't like I am going to take any business
away from him, because he already has more than he can handle.

I am pretty sure this guy isn't doing this for the money, but for the love
of old cars. And maybe he will let me "train" on my own cars!