explain your background to him.  talk up the military as old geezers from
iowa like that kind of stuff.  make it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that you have no
plans to ever go into the body business professionally and that this is just
for your personal edification.

then just feel it out.  he might be scared to work with someone new, but may
be able to be turned.  he might just love the idea.  he might just flat be
anti social and threaten to get the shotgun.

only one way to find out