Well, you are mostly correct there. I value my life, which is why I only go out on our roads on a Sunday morning when the traffic is pretty light and the contractors are not maniacally driving (though a bit earlier an AT&T van gave me a brushback and honk, just because I guess). I keep near the right white line so there is room for cars to get around fairly easily, though they might have to wait a few seconds to do so (again, very light traffic on a Sunday morning). And here in SC we have a bike law that makes me just as entitled to the road as a car, and even having more "protections" in that regard. I could ride near the centerline if I wanted to, and be well within my (dead) rights to do so. I don't because that would be stupid and inconsiderate, like sailing your dinghy in front of a big barge tow.

That said, mixing with cars/trucks is risky, I understand that, and why I do it on a Sunday morning. But it comes down mostly to the driver, and the driver's behavior to choose or not choose the proper mode of behavior. In this case the driver made a bad choice, the magnitude of which is yet to be impressed fully.

I might be dead right.

All that said I am being forced into an agonizing reappraisal, which makes me really really angry.

--R

Loren Faeth wrote:
I always had the right of way sailing an 80 lb sailboat on the Mississippi. Having the right of way does not mean you are smart to take it. There is no way a tow with 15 barges can get out of the way of a itty bitty sailboat. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Before you flame, yes, it is a little different scale, but it illustrates a point.

I like bike riding, and if you value your life, you stay out of the way of motor vehicles. There are plenty of bike trails and sidewalks. There are plenty of A**h*le bike riders. There are plenty of people in motor vehicles who are trying to make a living, and that makes them be in a hurry.

Like it or not, riding a bike near the centerline is essentially flipping the bird to all drivers, and drivers know that. If you want to ride on roads, come to Iowa and ride on Ragbrai. A lot of effort is made to make the roads safe for bike for that trip.

Ride safe