I want to clarify - when I say "out in the lane" I mean just to the right of the stream of cars (by about 3 feet), but not all the way to the shoulder if the cyclist can't keep up with the car traffic, and isn't turning left. This way you're staying visible- but not blocking the path of rapidly approaching cars.

I don't think the decision between "alive" and "dead right" is as clear cut as one might think. Quite often the safest way to cycle is also the only legal one- "vehiclular cycling" where a cyclist rides in the road and obeys all of the traffic laws that other vehicles obey. Cycling as a pedestrian (using sidewalks, crosswalks, multi-use paths) is extremely dangerous for both the cyclists and pedestrians, and should be illegal IMO.

Tyler

tyler wrote:
Actually, strong evidence exists (see the book "Effective Cycling") that riding out in the lane with the cars and following all of the same traffic laws is significantly safer statistically than riding in the shoulder, in a bike lane, on a bike trail, or on the sidewalk (it's illegal to ride on a sidewalk BTW).

Most bike accidents aren't caused from rear collisions, but from cars turning or pulling out and being unable to see the bikes because they're too close to the edge of the road.

Tyler

Loren Faeth wrote:
I always had the right of way sailing an 80 lb sailboat on the Mississippi. Having the right of way does not mean you are smart to take it. There is no way a tow with 15 barges can get out of the way of a itty bitty sailboat. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Before you flame, yes, it is a little different scale, but it illustrates a point.

I like bike riding, and if you value your life, you stay out of the way of motor vehicles. There are plenty of bike trails and sidewalks. There are plenty of A**h*le bike riders. There are plenty of people in motor vehicles who are trying to make a living, and that makes them be in a hurry.

Like it or not, riding a bike near the centerline is essentially flipping the bird to all drivers, and drivers know that. If you want to ride on roads, come to Iowa and ride on Ragbrai. A lot of effort is made to make the roads safe for bike for that trip.

Ride safe