On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:40:06 -0400 andrew strasfogel
<astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My trusted mechnic told me to take it to a body shop as there is no way
> to access the lower bolts without R/R of the fender.  If the fender is
> original, it has been glued into place, so this is NOT a job for the
> unprepared or hubristic.

Not so! A some point in time, MB stopped gluing the fenders to the body.
I changed the right-front fender on our 1982 240D/3.0 in the parking lot
of Silver Star Recycling in Rancho Cordova, CA, while we were on vacation
a couple of years ago. No problem taking the old fender off nor putting
the new one on.

When I replaced my hood hinges, I had to take the fender off because I
needed to run a tap down the tapped hole in the body and couldn't get the
tap started straight with the fender on.

Craig