Unix, however, as you will know if you've ever used it as a command line implementation, is a main frame OS of the old style -- cryptic commands, a hangover from when using whole words would eat up your disk or memory space,

No.  Try a 110 baud ASR-33 teletype for I/O.  Slow, and noisy, and
a real beast to type on with long-throw buttons and absolutely
no key rollover.  (If you attempt to type too fast it will jam
your fingers.)  I spent time that way in the beginning, and
all the terseness of traditional Unix is absolutely
understandable (and forgivable) to me.

-- Jim