From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of WILTON
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:50 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: speeding/comparing VIN's

Late one afternoon in '76 at George AFB, CA, (near Victorville) I had
dismantled a small, surplus bridge on base and most of the long beams loaded
onto my '74 Plymouth van with several feet of each protruding out the back
of the van.  I had attached a red flag and red reflector the end on one of
the beams to improve their visibility for the night trip to my cabin 35
miles away in the San Gabriel Mountains where I planned to use the beams in
the building of a deck.  Almost immediately after I exited the base onto the
main highway for the trip to the cabin flashing blue lights of a CHP cruiser
were behind me.  I pulled over thinking the officer was gonna jump me for
having the beams protruding so far out the back or not having a light on
them or question  why I was leaving the base loaded with such beams,
especially at night.  He ask for my license and registration, which I
immediately presented, of course.  He glanced at them, handed them back and
said, "Sorry to have bothered you, Sir.  Have a nice evening."  I put my
license back in my wallet, threw the registration card on the engine cover
by right leg and proceeded with my trip.  'Coupla days later, I picked up
the registration card and, as I started to put it back in the glove
compartment, I noticed that the card was for a '64 Dodge van that I had
traded a coupla years before for the '76 Plymouth van that I was driving!!!
CHP officer never noticed the difference.  BTW, 'have no idea what they were
looking for.

Wilton