You can rent a small backhoe and have it delivered and picked up, and then dig it yourself...

Tyler

andrew strasfogel wrote:
This all sounds plausible, except that I would need to obtain another
residential construction permit from the D.C. authorities.  I doubt there is
a height limitation, however, so maybe this won't prove too painful an
exercise...

The other non-trivial challenge is to persuade my sig. oth. (who is an
interiors architect) that this is a worthwhile and esthetically winning
project.

Other than that, it's a walk in the park!

So the pit digging option is looking better by the minute.  What type of
contractor handles this sort of controlled mayhem?