OK we are talking about maybe $200 worth of 2x4s and a coupla hundred for plywood (or go scavenge some from some building demo for free), even if that much, to raise the thing up, and maybe another coupla hundred to rent some jacks and buy/rent some beams. The DC building inspector will probably extract a couple bennies from you so you don't have "problems" but maybe you could just give him a fifth of 4 Roses and some weed or blow, and he would leave you alone if he even shows up. I mean, we're talking DC here, not some civilized place where the city gummint actually works or gives half a sh*t what you do to your garage. Or just start on Fri evening and have it done by Monday morning, and plead ignorance to any changes.

Aesthetically, we are talking about a garage here, not the Taj Mahal. Mama shouldn't care much one way or the other if it makes you happy. Invest another coupla hundred in a some nice lugustrums and climbing roses or something, and you won't even see the building next summer. Or better yet, buy her a plane ticket to Nantucket for a weekend, we'll get a few manly men and some beer, and get the thing done and she probably wouldn't even notice.

You are overthinking this, the energy you are spending on overthinking could get it done and you could have a doghouse if she notices, and a nice place to work on cars.

--R

andrew strasfogel wrote:
This all sounds plausible, except that I would need to obtain another
residential construction permit from the D.C. authorities.  I doubt there is
a height limitation, however, so maybe this won't prove too painful an
exercise...

The other non-trivial challenge is to persuade my sig. oth. (who is an
interiors architect) that this is a worthwhile and esthetically winning
project.

Other than that, it's a walk in the park!

So the pit digging option is looking better by the minute.  What type of
contractor handles this sort of controlled mayhem?