From: "Jim Cathey" <j...@windwireless.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 10:25:21 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Kid cars

> doesn't make any sense to me because then my 8 yards of concrete is
> only ~22 gallons. (162*.13).

Units work. Always check the units. Basic algebra,
and standard engineering practice. Follow it and get
your probes intact to Mars, etc.

8 yd^3 * 27 ft^3/yd^3 * .13 ft^3/gal

(This is easier to do visually on paper, with vertical fractions.)

Ignoring the numbers, multiply (cancel) the units that match
top and bottom. yd^3 gone, good. But you're left with ft^6/gal,
which is not a sensible result. If we change that last multiply
to a divide, then the ft^3 goes away too, leaving gallons as the
only unit standing. That's what you want, so then run the numbers
too. (8*27)/.13 => 1662 gallons.

> 22 gallons of water doesn't weigh squat so I'm thinking my math is
> failing somwhere.

Doesn't exactly fill a dump truck, either, so yes.

A pint's a pound the world around, so
1662 gallons * 8 pints/gallon * 1 lb/pint
leaves only pounds, so that'd be 13292#,
which is enough to notice! Or if you prefer:

13292 lb / 2000 lb/ton

Units remaining is tons, so 6.6 tons.

> Anyway I wonder how the concrete truck operator would have felt about
> filling up with pond water?

If it didn't take too long I'm sure he wouldn't mind. They've
got to have a place to dump out back at the yard, since they
wash 'em out there anyway.

-- Jim