You have no reason to feel any shame - I've seen on TV what you guys in rescue helos, SA-16's (yeah, I know, that's the AF designation - can't remember the CG) and small boats do; back and forth to the WW II invasion beaches, too.

As for going without, I've been there, too, a bunch; 'raised on tenant farms in Eastern NC; Air Force E-1, etc., with a wife and a baby.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wonko the Sane" <don.b...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] check your credit card due dates

Go for it. Be debt free, and the first of every month buy a Starbucks for
some homeless person -- just to make the paranoid folks who might observe it
wonder.

As a warrior, I am sure you have way more "best experiences" than I do. I
got to do 20 years and get to retirement without anyone shooting at me in
anger. I collect my retirement pay with a sense of gratitude but also a
sense of shame.

But I said that to say this.

In the mid 80s, there was an individual who used to hang out by the turn-in
for the Woodbridge VA Ikea. Typical sign -- "hungry, will work for food"
stuff. Saw him there for a few weks -- went to Ikea a lot. Never saw anyone
else stop to even acknowledge him.

I stopped one day and asked him to get into my Acura. Drove across the
street to the Subway (same strip mall as the Ikea) and took him inside, and
said, "Order whatever you want."

He didn't ask me for beer money (as most of you would expect) and looked a
bit stunned and ordered a 12" -- said half was for now, and half was for
tomorrow's meal. A few of the "yuppie" folks in there gave him strange looks as he sat there and ate half of the sandwich, but 'to hell with them' -- he had his first good meal in a while, shared the experience with a new friend
(me), and left with his stomach full for the first time in a while and the
next day's meal taken care of.

Why? Well, I have been pretty close to that man's position -- out of money
(literally) and searching the couch for lost quarters to buy food until the
next pay check. Nothing like "been there" to make one charitable.

I have no idea what that story has to do with you being our of debt, but I
would encourage your doing it. I'm pretty much there now and it feel very
good.

Don