On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:19 -0400, "Dillon, Meade M CIV
SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC,53310" <meade.m.dil...@navy.mil> wrote:

> Confession: I do not have
> trailer brakes on my sailboat trailer, but never had a problem towing
> the boat, including a drive from Louisville KY to Charleston SC via the
> mountains.  Braking and brake-fade where never an issue.

Well that's not the only reason for trailer brakes.  The mass of the trailer
means a lot of momentum, which pushes on the back end of your car when you
stop.  If the roads are wet, or worse icy, or you're on gravel, etc. you will
have a tendency to fishtail or jacknife even if your brakes are otherwise
capable of stopping.  With trailer brakes, a lot of that momentum energy is
dissipated and you have more control.  Ideally the trailer brakes are balanced
so that the trailer neither pulls nor pushes on the tow vehicle when you are
trying to stop.

Allan