From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:28 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Anyone tow with a W124 wagon?

> I remember reading about a torque converter test whereby you hold the
> brake down and floor the accelerator and the engine RPM should reach
> the stall speed, which was listed, but now I cannot find that test.

That's the test.  And if the motor doesn't reach stall speed, and is not
otherwise puny feeling, it could be that the torque converter is broken.
Our 450SL had stripped stator splines on the front of the transmission,
so the TC couldn't convert torque, nor could the engine reach the
official stall speed.
Was a dog off the line, felt fine at highway speed.

-- Jim