Fred Johnson wrote:
On my 83 300SD the cruise control will not hold the
desired speed.  I can use the accelerate function to
get the vehicle up to speed.  I can also keep my foot
on the accelerator and feel the cruise control trying
to hold the vehicle at speed until it eventually gives
up.

Yesterday I cleaned and lubed the cruise control
linkages with ATF. Also cleaned the #12 fuse block. Car had same issues this morning.

I suggest that you clean the connector to the amplifier and the connector to the actuator, but more than half the time the problem is cracked/cold solder joints - especially where the printed circuit board of the amp connects to the connector pins. Rebuilt amps cost $150-200. I believe that actuators cost about the same.

http://www.gdl-online.com/begin.html has good information.

I think Rusty can supply rebuilts.

Marshall
--