I have heard and had personal experience when changing over to MOBIL1 in an engine that was origionally run on dino that after a while it leaks. There is something missing in the oil to swell the gaskets, or something like that. Not that I don't swear by MOBIL 1, My engines seem to last forever on the stuff and I love it. I wish I could get it to stop leaking though. Anybody else hear of this?

George Mason

Marshall Booth wrote:
Peter Frederick wrote:

Use Delvac 1 or Truck and SUV Mobil 1 -- the same thing, but Delvac comes in gallon containers.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is sold in 5 qt containers at SOME Wal-Marts for much less than Delvac in in one gallon jugs.

You should have no issues at all, but I would get an extra oil filter and change it 1000 miles after putting the Mobil 1 in -- a huge amount of sludge will come loose if it's been run on dino oil, and this will clog the filter pretty fast.

While I agree that Mobil 1 will dissolve much/most sludge, - the operative word is DISSOLVE - and my opinion is that the need to change the oil/filter before the factory suggested interval would rarely be necessary. I've change over many high mileage diesel engines to M-1 and there was NEVER any evidence of anything close to filter occlusion. Still, the filter change will certainly hurt NOTHING.

Marshall