I've seen firsthand how synthetic can clean out crud in your system that was
plugging a leak and you end up with a new leak. However, I've had plenty of
other vehicles that DIDN'T start leaking. There's really no way of knowing
if you have any "plugged leaks" that the synthetic will clean out for you
until you try it...

I definitely recommend synthetic, but I also recommend keeping a good eye on
your car before, during and after so that you'll know if it starts using
more oil or anything.
I also wouldn't advise changing right before you head out on a big trip
either. (Nothing like heading out to move to your new location 4 hours away,
get 30 miles into the trip and have smoke pouring out of your hood from oil
spraying on the turbo/exhaust from a new pinhole leak from the turbo oil
feed line...)

Personally, in my 83' 300D I started out with regular dino diesel, now I'm
on Synthetic blend, and next will be full-on synthetic. So far, not bad at
all. Maybe a quart every 3-5K miles...

Levi