On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Iron heads crack too, especially when abused.  I have replaced far more iron
> heads (3 or 4 on Mercedes Diesels) than I have aluminum heads

That just goes to show that anecdotal evidence is meaningless.  I've
NEVER heard of a head cracking on an iron head Mercedes diesel like
the OM617.  I HAVE heard of cracks in all the versions of the 603 head
other than the very latest revision, #24.  My own car had a #17 when I
bought it and I thought that meant it was safe from head
problems---guess again, the head cracked after 50K or so in the car
(not quite sure the actual mileage since it was paid for by the P.O.,
and the work was done at the dealer so pres

It is NOT true that any '87 300D that is still on the road is past the
point where you have to worry about head problems.  This is one of the
(very few) points on which I belive our beloved Marshall was wrong.