The problem that we have with the powdery stuff is that here on the prairies,
it is too open and the wind blows it
around to much. No visiblity and the road gets polished so it is slippery.

We keep getting little bits of snow so my sidewalk is a mess  etc. If you don't
get it cleared off before people
walk on it, then you basically cannot get it cleared off. We have an inch or so
of ice and snow built up on the
concrete that will be there for a while.

The other problem I get is that my garage faces east west and the sun melts the
snow off of the south side. It then
fills my eavestrough with ice and makes a big icy mess a the downspout end. The
water splashes onto the stucco and
freezes and causes the stucco to fall apart.

I need to come up with some better solution to the problem but I am not sure
what it is. I have considered building
a dormer on that side of the garage roof in an attempt to change the melt
characteristics. It also ruins the
shingles as there is a constant freeze and thaw cycle on the south side of the
roof. If you don't think solar
energy works, come and look at my garage. It can be minus 20 but at high noon
with the sun shining, the snow will
be melting off of the south side of my garage. Of couse, as soon as the water
runs down to where it is shadowed by
the neighbor's garage, it re-freezes.

I get a similar scenario on my house as the snow melts on the roof (later once
it warms up more) and runs into the
trough and down the downpipe but then freezes as it is in the shadow between my
house and the one to the south of
us. Then the downpipe freezes and bursts and the water runs down the stucco and
damages it. I guess I need the
industrial style downpipes that are open to the outside but they would look odd
on the house.

Randy