'Rode with friend to Columbia, SC, this morning to help him pick up a '28 Model
AA Ford truck that he bought on e-Bay coupla days ago.  Photos looked great, of
course, and included photos of manifold heater (a shroud on top of exhaust
manifold that directs heat from manifold into cabin) installed; even showed
turn switch on steering column and the lights installed front and rear.  Friend
asked about tires; seller told him, "They're in excellent condition - nearly
new; everything works; I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere on a long trip
right now."  Friend asked about speedometer, fuel gauge and windshield wiper.
Seller stated, "Oh, they work, everything works."  Friend asked, "What about
leaks?"  Reply:  "No leaks.  Engine has just been rebuilt."

Friend's original plan was to trailer the truck home, but couldn't readily find
a trailer big/long enough (truck is not a pickup, but a 1 1/2 ton, I think).
Seller promised such perfect product, friend decided to drive it home ('bout
200 mi), and I'd drive his car home.

As I was getting out of car in driveway beside the truck, I noticed heater
shroud lying in cargo bed of truck and many age/dry rot cracks in the tires -
nearly new tires, my etc.  With my walker, I hobbled around to driver door of
the truck and glanced through the window, immediately noticing wires hanging
from the turn signal switch - working turn signals, my etc.  By then, friend
and seller were approaching driver side of the truck, and I retreated to
friend's car to prepare for my driving it home, saying, "I'll get out of your
way; y'all take your time; I'll just wait here in the car 'til you're ready to
go."  Seller got in the truck, started it and turned on headlights, friend
walked around it checking the lights and got in the driver side of truck; I
thought they would take it for an extensive check-out drive, bur seller
proceeded to his car as friend waved to me to follow them.  I yelled to ask him
if they were coming back here.  "No," he replied, "Just follow us up to the
bank a quarter mile away; we'll transfer title there."

I followed 'em to the bank and waited a few minutes for the them to conclude
the transaction.  Seller left; friend came to the truck, where I was waiting
beside it in the car.  As friend prepared to leave in the truck, he told me
that seller had just confirmed that speedometer, fuel gauge and windshield
wiper don't work, in contrast to the glowing promises about how perfect
everything was while they were on the phone.

I wanted to drive along behind the truck on trip home, but friend insisted
adamantly that I leave him and come on home via Interstate highways while he
takes non-interstate at 40 mph.  After he assured me that he is fully prepared
for the trip alone, with extra clothes, flashlight, extra battery, AAA card,
etc., I left him and came on home.

'Called friend coupla times since arriving home; he's a little over half way
here, but he's having to stop about every 20 miles to put water in the truck
because of a radiator leak.  He called few minutes ago and asked if were OK to
put Stopleak in the radiator.
What are your opinions of Stopleak or such products?  How might they complicate
later repairs to radiator, etc.  Do they also leave deposits in the block to
need removal later?

BTW, I drove friend's Honda Fit home; it's quick,but I sure much rather drive
my 23 and 19-year-old MBs.  ;<))))

Wilton