On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM, WILTON <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> 'Rode with friend to Columbia, SC, this morning to help him pick up a '28
> Model AA Ford truck that he bought on e-Bay coupla

Should have had a Columbi-Q, my parents are there so I could have had
a good excuse to visit, and I know there are several SC listers. :)
That's kind of a dreary trip and worse by yourself, glad your friend
was prepared.

> 'Called friend coupla times since arriving home; he's a little over half way
> here, but he's having to stop about every 20 miles to put water in the truck
> because of a radiator leak.  He called few minutes ago and asked if were OK
> to put Stopleak in the radiator.
> What are your opinions of Stopleak or such products?  How might they
> complicate later repairs to radiator, etc.  Do they also leave deposits in
> the block to need removal later?

I've always been told to steer clear of them regardless of the
mechanic's age, but in a '28 Ford... Seems like it would have the same
problem, heat + dry = hardening, not necessarily where you want it.  I
have noticed that straight Zyrex is much thicker than regular
antifreeze, but if it leaks you're out a lot more cash.

Are you all in the path of the snow?  If so he might want the stopleak
anyway, and deal with the consequences later.  If not I'd counsel him
to ride it out, should be able to buy a half-dozen antifreeze jugs and
fill them at local restaurants as they run low.

> BTW, I drove friend's Honda Fit home; it's quick,but I sure much rather drive
> my 23 and 19-year-old MBs.  ;<))))

Safer than a Toyota, but the '28 Ford will be classier I think. :)

-Tim