you asked:<<How's a fast glow plug different, in use?>>>

The original GPs are wires in *series* - hot lead goes to #4 GP from the main fuse on the firewall - then thru the GP to #3, thru #3 to #2 and finaly thru #2 to #1 where a ground wire is attached. A failure in one GP will result in weaker current to the downstream GPs.

The Fast Glow plugs are wired *parallel* - - where a hot lead comes from the main fuse on the firewall, and attaches to the #4 GP and then the hot leads are wires together to electricity goes to all 4 GPs equally - and are not afected the same if one GP fails.

This allows all 4 GPs to heat up dramatically more quickly that before - the chart in the workshop manual shows the GPs reaching 1800F in less than 20 seconds.

With the Fast Glow Plug kit you'll get dramatically quicker starts in much colder weather - and sometimes solve "hard to start" problems that some shops can spend a fortune of *your* money looking for solutions to - when an $85 kit will fix it. . I've heard of 2 different people being sold head jobs when fast glow plugs have fixed their problems -

If I've explained this incorrectly, please help me out - electrical stuff is my weakest area -- I always have trouble remembering which is series and which is parallel.

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil