andrew strasfogel wrote:
> Speaking of glow plugs, her 1985 300CD now stalls out upon initial
> ignition.  Fuel filers are clean and changed regularly, but the glowplugs
> are original since 1998 and 30K miles.  Do they need to be
> checked/replaced?  Or should I first run a can of diesel purge through the
> system?

Not likely a glow plug problem. No reason for glow plugs to not last =

100-200kmi. Once the engine starts, the glow plugs contribute NOTHING to =

the engine operation, UNLESS the car has been converted to afterstart =

glow (then the extended glow after then engine starts allows the engine =

to run more smoothly and with fewer emissions until it's warmed up).

A does of Diesel Purge and an Italian tune-up may improve things. Be =

sure that idle speed is set at 750-800 rpm. You might also try loosening =

the rack damper screw ever so slightly as if it's even a little too =

tight, initial fuel flow may be inadequate to maintain cold idle. Be =

sure its the revised gold colored one (top in attached picture) and not =

the original silver one (bottom).

Marshall
-- =

'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 =

190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)