How about duct tape? There is some kind that is waterproof I think. I would think the plastic would just shred off.

--R

On 3/12/2010 3:33 PM, Alex Chamberlain wrote:
If I have a CV joint with a boot that has just started to crack---the
joint presumably is still good, as there's still a lot of grease
inside the boot and the joint isn't making any funny noises---what is
the best way to protect the joint if the car must be driven before the
new boot arrives?  I'm thinking of wrapping a scrap of heavy plastic
painter's tarp around the cracked boot and fastening at both ends with
zip ties.  Thoughts?

Alex