does #1 flow fuel before you lift the airflow flapper?

On MB's, you push down.

I know the IP is powered by the engine turning, but something must pressurize the injectors so it will start. Hadn't thought about it before but I assume there's a electric FP that's energized when the key is turned - is that right?

The injectors run on some 2000# of pressure, that doesn't come
from an electric pump.  The injection pump itself does this.
They have what is usually called a 'lift pump' to push fuel into
the IP.

   Where's the Airflow flapper?

Looks a little like a carburetor!

-- Jim