Yeah, it happened, the dreaded $700 sunvisor problem. Passenger visor on 85 380SL. The last time the little left tab broke off, I glued the two pieces together, and supported the joint with copper wire through tiny holes as reinforcement. Now the wires pulled out.

I am not going to spend the $700 for a visor, so I thought I'd just take off the visor. That is not simple either. when I unscrew the pivot, the little plastic piece does not come out, even with pulling on the visor. If I got it out, there is still the problem of the wiring for the lighted mirror....

Anyone ever had this apart? I think If I pull the center mirror, then I can remove the window trim at the top of the windshield. then maybe have access to the wire.

Is there another screw (or more) hidden by the trim? Perhaps the exposed screw is only for adjusting the tension? That is another problem.... the visor is floppy and won't tighten up, and that puts stess on the little tab that breaks and costs a $700 visor. If I can get the visor out, I think I can add some shim to tighten the visor. if it were tight, maybe the little tab is something you could live without.

With the parts inflation of the past few years, I suppose a visor is now $1000 or $1200. Too bad the clip doesn't screw on the windshield frame and snap onto the visor like most cars (123). Then I could just rob a a clip from a 123, or even spend a couple bucks to buy a new one....

If I can fix the pivot, I am thinking about reinforcing the tab with some pop can aluminum shoo-gooed to it with some additional copper wire support.

I saw on a forum that Bud;s SL shop supposedly has some fix for this. Maybe I should call them tomorrow. In the meantime, I will be happy if I can just take it OFF.