You can shift it when the clutch is acting up - just pretend that you don't
have a clutch at all. You need to rev the engine to match the speed it needs
for the gear you're down shifting into. Or rev it too much while in neutral,
then the gear will slip in when the speeds match with a little pressure on
the shifter.
I think all manual tranny drivers shoulod learn how to drive without a
clutch -- as I did the first time the clutch cable broke in my VW!

--
OK Don
Panic! (the national past time).