I had one do that to me; until the brakes totally failed, I had no idea what was going on. The master cylinder did not lose fluid that I could tell, and the mechanic that did the safety inspection did not catch it.

When I pulled off the master cylinder, brake fluid ran out of the booster. it must have had fluid up to the middle of it's mounting hole...

About 10k miles later the vacuum pump failed (the PO indicated that it was the second pump that he put on it). When I put a new pump on it, many vacuum issues sorted themselves out; the old pump bad been weak for some time.

Speaking of which, I have the old pump still, I would expect that with new valves (including the one in the fitting) and maybe resealing the piston, that it would be servicable. I'll check it out, and if the arm and bearing look ok then I might rebuild it...

Pull the master cylinder. Look in the brake booster. It can and will fill with brake fluid which can be sucked through the vacuum pump, where it has a jolly good time softening the seals and check valves during its brief stop on the way to mingle with your engine oil...

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net