You do not want to have your wheels turning from side to side. You are right, the dolly swivels, but the plate the wheels sits on stays put in relation to the wheels. If you leave the steering unlocked, the wheel straps will work loose.

Dieselhead wrote:
You want to unlock the steering column. Put the key in and turn it to position1, or run it on the dolly, turn it off but leave the key in. You have a jointed trailer, so the steering needs to turn, that is the joint in your trailer.

Otherwise, drive it on, leave the key in the ign
strap it down
Hook the safety chains
Put the MANUAL trans in Neutral
Put your HF towing lights on the rear trunk or fenders

Assuming the connections to the tow vehicle are already made, you are ready.

If you have an AUTO trans or want to not put on towed miles, back it on the dolly, leave the steering unlocked put it in P (auto) or reverse (manual) and do the other things.

Uhaul tow lights are much better than the HF ones, primarily the magnets. I took back the new HF lights because they fell off before I left the HF parking lot. I have towed up to 1100 miles with the uhaul lights. They were $40 the last i knew.

Just put front wheels on the dolly, put it in neutral and go?  Lock
steering? What else needs to be done? Has anyone done this? My son wants
to do this with his 240D from Vancouver, WA to Austin, TX.

TIA

Greg

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
95 E300, 94 S500, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 350SDL, 91 300D, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 76 240D, 76 300D, http://www.okiebenz.com