Ah... Not really everyone else. They are put in place at intersections that are too busy for people to be able to exit the side streets, but not so busy as to warrant a traffic signal or a roundabout (which many americans cannot use effectively!)

The way that it works is that everyone stops when they get to the stop bar (fat white line across the road), and if a vehicle immediately to your right was already stopped, then they go first. Ideally it is strict alternation in a clockwise manner. Of course when you get several vehicles arrive at different signs at the same time, fun ensues... If the drivers are all really polite everyone waits for everyone else to go first, and if they are really impolite they play bumper cars... Mixed degrees of politeness seem to work out OK.

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net