Ernest,

I've been in that situation as well.
When I bought my truck, I fired off an email, we fired email back and
forth, got the guys number, called, we talked, I agreed to make the ~
hour drive to see the truck, got there, he said someone local offered
to buy it and he told em to wait since I was coming up.

He also said I was the only one who actually followed up after he
fired an email back.

Walt