I've got about $4500 to $6000 to spend, so that's going to put me back in early
2000 range cars, most likely.

I'm not picky about the brand, suffice to say the main concerns are reliability
and mileage.  I'll be driving about 50 miles round trip a day to work, mostly
on surface streets, but ones that have 45-55 MPH speed limits with minimal
traffic controls.

I would love to find a small 4 cylinder SUV, like an Escape or CR-V, but I fear
these are out of my price range for something that's decent.

I'm all ears - toss me some suggestions.....

Dan