In a message dated 11/7/2005 3:14:41 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I am  curious as well. I have quite a few miles on the redone #17 head on
my 87  300D, and I have this nagging feeling it's going to need to come
back off.  Oil consumption went WAY up, and it fits all of the symptoms of
valve guide  seals. The smoke out the back resembles oil in color.  The

Kevin,

For the 603 engines, Dave M was quick to warn that not all valve seals were
the same and to use only factory replacement parts.   You may not have  had
control over the seal selected for your rebuild.  I do think he  said they can
be replaced with the head in place with the right valve spring  compressor.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles