Alex Chamberlain wrote:
Good point, Dave.  For what it's worth, though, my #17 that blew
definitely did so on its own, so to speak---not because of
overheating.  The car overheated routinely after the head cracked, but
not before, and once the head was replaced it ran perfectly
again---i.e. the cooling system was NOT the culprit.  Pity I don't
have much maintenance history on the car.  I don't know exactly when
the original head was replaced, nor when the trap oxidizer recall was
done.  If there was an overlap, we could blame the trap for the #17
cracking.