Good point, Dave.  For what it's worth, though, my #17 that blew
definitely did so on its own, so to speak---not because of
overheating.  The car overheated routinely after the head cracked, but
not before, and once the head was replaced it ran perfectly
again---i.e. the cooling system was NOT the culprit.  Pity I don't
have much maintenance history on the car.  I don't know exactly when
the original head was replaced, nor when the trap oxidizer recall was
done.  If there was an overlap, we could blame the trap for the #17
cracking.

On 11/7/05, Dave M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Before condemning the #17+ heads, you need to know the details behind
> the failure (re: that SDL with a bunch of cracks in a '17.)  Blowing a
> radiator hose and driving for an hour with the temp in the red and no
> coolant in the system will likely crack a #22 head also.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo