On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:32:40 -0700 David Bruckmann
<bruckma...@transcontinental.ca> wrote:

> Ok, so I've replaced the chain in my 617.910. It is now perhaps half a
> degree  better than it was before the chain replacement, but the crank
> scale is still reading 15+ degrees ATDC when the cam notch is lined up
> with the mark! (pics attached)

Yup, that is what it looks like.

> Given the measurement margin of error, the 15 degree offset seems
> suspiciously close to the 18 degree offset produced when the chain is
> off by one tooth at the cam.

Is does seem suspicious.

> In any case, before I go further I need to determine whether the crank
> scale's indicated TDC really is TDC...

That would be a good idea.

> Apart from the scale, is there any other externally visible reference
> mark on the crankshaft?

Sorry, I don't know. I'm in Knoxville, TN, and my manuals are in Los
Alamos, NM.

> Would removing the lower oil pan be an option as a means of seeing the
> movement of #1 conn rod towards TDC?

Yes, but I'm not sure how accurately you could see the piston's position.
The amount of travel of the piston gets quite small the closer you rotate
the crank to TDC.

> I haven't checked if the pan can be removed in-situ, but intuitively it
> seems like perhaps it could...

You can remove the lower oil pan, but the oil pump is in the way to
readily see up into the upper reaches of the engine. With a mirror you
might be able to see what you need to.

Craig