From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Peter Frederick
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 8:24 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM617 - Identifying real crank position

Yes, you can remove the bottom oil pan.  Messy, but should work.

You can also pull the #1 prechamber and use something like a coat hanger
wire to determine when the piston is at TDC.  Even just pulling the
injector or glow plug should let you know if you are close.  Stops
blowing and starts sucking in air at TDC on the compression stroke.

Or you can assume you have jumped a tooth, which is rather common --
I've done it twice.  I believe they are 13 degrees each, so it ads up
pretty well, and you would be within 2 degrees if you move the cam
sprocket.

It will run just fine, although low on power with the cam 15 degrees
late.  15 advance and the pistons hit the valves.

Peter