Normally, yes, You can unbolt the bottom of the shock, then unbolt the outer end of the LCA, with the LCA supported by a floor jack. Lower the jack and catch the spring when it comes loose. No spring compressor needed for the back of any postwar MB up to W210 at least.

If the outer bolt is frozen, try cutting/grinding it off.

The left rear bushing (supporting link, pdf 35-114) on the lower control arm
(spring link) of the '92 300D is squeeking loudly wiht any motoin at all. I
thought it was going to be one of the other four links, but it's clearly the
bottom one that the spring sits on. To R&R this bushing, and the inside one,
the spring needs to come out. Do I remember correctly that if you reomve the
shock, there is enough movement to let the spring fully extend, so you don't
need the spring compressor?

I did try to reomve the bolt through the outer bushing (supporting link) -
puonded on it with a 4# hammer and brass rod, but it didn't move at all. I
can rotate it a bit, can't slide it out. I was going to just look at the
bushing, and perhaps lube it till I can replace it - but no joy. I might
take this job to a shop and let the young gorillas fight with it.

--
OK Don
2001 ML320