What an antiquated philosophy! Look at our gummit. We have a sec of treasury (and head of the IRS) who didn't pay taxes. 900 billion of bailout money that nobody knows where it went (but you can rest assured it went to big donors to bamster) Wall street has created worthless paper and inflated its value until the scheme collapsed. And don't neglect the 70 yr old ponzi scheme perpetrated on us by the "beloved" FDR called social (in)security.

How can HP be expected to live by such a philosophy when the rest of the world operates on the philosophy of rape kill pillage and burn?

I think this is nicely summed up by first referring to the inside cover of the "HP-41C/CV Owner's Handbook and Programming Guide" (00041-90313 Rev. D, December 1982), wherein it states: "The success and prosperity of our company will be assured only if we offer our customers superior products that fill real needs and provide lasting value, and are supported by a wide variety of useful services, both before and after sale." (Statement of Corporate Objectives, Hewlett-Packard). Compare this to HP today.

(BTW, the darned thing STILL WORKS!)

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net