Fmiser wrote:

You could have a house where the neighbors are so far away it's
hard to see the house.  Where there's room to have a dozen or
more parts cars.  Where no one complains, care, or probably even
notices if you fire a shotgun.  Or cannon.  Where 50 kbps is
considered "fast".

How far away are your cell towers?
My phone line will not negotiate a x2 connection, so good dialup for me is about 3kBps. Verizon cellular is expensive, but it used to be fairly fast, now I've got tower congestion. I switched to Virgin (crippled Sprint) cellular, and I can spread 200kBps across 4-5 downloads during slack periods, or 70kBps on a single connection (that's the crippled part, even if I have the whole tower at 4am, no more than 70-80k per download connection). During busy times, I might drop to 20kBps, but right now I'm downloading two youtube streams at 70kBps each (those are Bytes, not bits).

Mitch.