> Mitch Haley wrote:

> Jim Cathey wrote:
>
> > No, LD is superior to any of the consumer tape formats.
> > DVD generally looks better yet, but LD has it over DVD
> > when it comes to the user being in control of the process.
>
> Is there a law that says the manufacturer of the player has to
> give the manufacture of the DVD authority to override the user
> controls so they can force you to sit through 1/2 hour of
> previews of movies you didn't buy?

Not that I know of - but in the DVD authoring it's possible to
set what the controls are allowed to do.  The jump destination
as well as if the jump is allowed are both setable.

> Seems like one could get rich selling a player that goes to
> the main menu whenever the user hits the 'menu' button and
> stops when the user hits the 'stop' button.

Can't do it directly.  There is nothing in the authoring of the
DVD that indicates "this is the menu".  It's not unlike html
where it's a bunch of content with links building the order.
Which one is the menu? It' might be possible to guess, but I
suspect that would be wrong as often as it's right.

You could have it randomly jump to some other content, and maybe
from there you could get to the real menu.

--    Philip