Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:00:17 -0500
From: Tim C <bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - computer issues

DE markers aren't in our list, but the list retail is $40+ here.
Paper, pencils, crayons, markers, notebooks, all of particular
brand/size; reams of paper, etc.; daughter brought in batteries, yarn,
a couple other oddities too this year.  These all get put into the
general classroom bucket.  That said all the local stores (including
Wal-Mart) have the stuff on sale in August, so it usually rings in
around $20, less for us because we hit sales throughout the year.

Kids who can't afford it - literally 98% of my kids' school is on free
lunch, 99% if you include reduced - bring what they can, and the
teachers make up the difference. [Well, and those of us with jobs
usually send in extra.] Here the teachers, even though they make less
than other area professionals, are making more than the average income
of the families in this school, and they know it.  I don't begrudge
them asking for classroom supplies from the kids, and don't mind
helping.

I prefer to do it voluntarily; basically I see it as a local use tax,
and I believe it is technically a charitable donation though I've
never taken it.  When my kids graduate I likely won't be paying it
anymore, which is a sight better long term than if the local property
tax, and thus administrative overhead, was raised to pay for the
things.

-Tim
I drop my kids off with the 300D, usually, but took the rental today
because SWMBO is not back yet.  And I was going to take off work to
finish the SDL, but didn't.  See?  Almost on topic.