From: Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:53:14 -0600
Subject: Re: [MBZ] screwed up 560SEL charging system

12.2 is not enough, it needs to be over 13.1 at the minimum, should
normally run 13.3 to 13.5 though.

Levi Smith wrote:

> Uhh, unless I'm missing something, 12.2 isn't really enough. I would only
> expect to see that if maybe you're overloading the alternator at idle.
> Batteries should be at 13.2v or higher.
>
> Levi

>>Kaleb, its not just the volts that the alternator should be putting out (
>>12.2 sounds ok) its the amps thats needed for keeping the battery charged.
>>Have you checked all your grounds ? A bad ground could cause those symptoms
>>since you said putting in a new battery worked, but the red battery light
>>stays lit. That sounds to me like a weak ground on the battery side..
>>
>>69 280 SEL 120,000 Miles
>>72 350SL 108,000 Miles
>>2004 VW Passat 4 Motion
>>1999 Mazda Miata

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,
  84 250 LWB, 83 300TD, 81 300TD, 81 240D, 81 240D,
  76 450SEL, 76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 69 250
Okie Benz Auto parts-email for used parts