I've been thinking (yes, this is already trouble).

  I have a printout of a thing entitled "amb service information" dated  11/95
with a reference # of MBNA 00/57A (supercedes S.I. MBNA 00/57)
  Revision: Revised checking/correcting oil level procedure
  SUBJECT: ALL MODELS ENGINE OIL LEVEL

  to quote: "...the engine should be at normal operating temperature (80 degees
C) and that the vehicle is parked on a level surface. The engine must not have
run for approx. 2 minutes, to allow the engine oil to drain into the oil pan."
yadda yadda

  NOW, the paragraph before this quote emphasizes "to fill the engine  with the
exact amount of engine oil specified for that engine" and goes  on to say that
if that is 8.5 quarts, do not use 9 quarts or 9 liters,  etc...USE 8.5 quarts.

  SO, the GOAL OF THE DIPSTICK is that when it reads halfway between min  and
max AFTER FOLLOWING MB's INSTRUCTIONS, you will indeed have the  correct
quantity of oil in the engine.

  I imagine that Marshall would not insist on the BCM without having  years of
experience behind him on this...so I must ask. Marshall, are  you saying that
if my eninge calls for 8 quarts and by Divine  Revelation I know there are
exactly 8 quarts of M1 in the engine AND I  follow the procedure above, the
reading on the dipstick will read low?  And if I top it off so that the
dipstick reads dead center, I have now  8+ quarts of M1?

  I know you have said that you don't know why this is, it just is. Any
elaboration would be appreciated, because I can't see how it makes  sense
either. If anything, would not M1 return to the crankcase MORE  QUICKLY than
dino oil causing the dipstick, if anything, to READ HIGHER  when following the
above instructions.

  This just doesn't make sense to me.

  My own experience with M1 in the SD is that it reads the same following  the
MB instructions as when using the BCM. Which is sort of what lead  me to this
e-mail...the only way that can be the case is that M1 does  indeed, after a few
minutes, LARGELY flow back into the  crankcase...giving nearly the same reading
at 2 minutes as at 8 hours.

  Additionally, if we were saying that the BCM applies only to some  obscure
oil, that might make sense, but it's M1...MB's oil of  choice...how can they
not know how to use a dipstick? It seems a bit  absurd. Now, the memo is 10
years old, maybe a new one has superceded  it...maybe M1 has changed since
then...don't know.

  I'm not trying to be a smartass, Dr. Booth, it just doesn't make sense  to me
and any light you might be able to shed, as always, is greatly  appreciated.

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 209K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"