-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Christopher McCann
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:10 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Booth Cold Method (BCM) Rationale

"Once you change  to Mobil 1 (and some other synthetics) the scheme that's
outline in
older (up thru the mid '90s or a bit later) owner's manual doesn't
work. Mercedes solved the problem by eliminating the dipstick before they
mandated synthetic oil."

Well, that makes sense as the average person will not wait 8 hours to check
their oil, they will do it whenever or at fill up.

It also shows a consistency in MB instructions as I have a hard time NOT
doing what they say and here (old cars, synthetic oil) is obviously
something they are not interested in addressing.

Why synthetics take longer to reach the sump is still a mystery to me, but
one I don't really need to understand.

Thanks,

Chris

Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: The only way to be sure there is 8
qt of oil in the engine is to empty
the engine COMPLETELY and then put 8 qt of oil into it! The use of the
dipstick is a simple method for checking the oil content of the engine.
It worked rather reliably when conventional oil is used. Once you change
to Mobil 1 (and some other synthetics) the scheme that's outline in
older (up thru the mid '90s or a bit later) owner's manual doesn't work.
Mercedes solved the problem by eliminating the dipstick before they
mandated synthetic oil.

The problem with Mobil 1 (and most other oils composed of group IV & V
base) is that they may take as long as 6-8 hours to return to the sump
under some conditions! What's important is the TOTAL quantity of oil in
the engine - NOT the quantity of oil in the sump.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5
turbo 237kmi

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 209K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"