Christopher McCann wrote:
Two problems with the SD re: idle:

1. When engine is cold (not ambient brrrrrr cold, just room temp, but
worse when truly COLD) it idles fine BUT as soon as I put it in
reverse (or turn on the A/C in hot weather), the idle drops and the
car usually stalls. Will stall at about 450 RPM.

Could be that your rack dampner bolt is in too far. If it is in too far it will restrict fuel too much during idle conditions...

2. Let's say we start the car and no reverse or A/C is needed, the
idle is fine...we drive 1-3 miles. Come to a stop and the idle is
PULSATING between, say, 550-700 or so...just revving between those
two engine speeds, rhytmiically, on its own. I would say 1 complete
rev cycle per 1.5 seconds.

This sounds like the rack dampner bolt is out too far.... so no idea what the problem is.

Either way, sounds like it could be relayed to the rack dampner bolt (located on the back of the IP, bolt with a lock nut as well). Quick thing to do might be to adjust it one way or the other and see how it changes your problems.

Proper adjustment, IIRC, is to loosen the bolt significantly, start engine, adjust bolt in until engine no longer rocks, lock in place with lock nut and hope that it starts when it's cold ;)

Best of luck with it!

John
'79 300SD